The other day sitting in a cane chair, contemplating on the life I lead so far, my gaze fell on the shoulder bag, a motionless object without a voice, yet so useful to me, and all my thoughts hovered on it. Thanks to the person who has designed it.
I consider and find a shoulder bag, a good companion to me whenever I go out, whether on travel, whether shopping, or whether to any event. Carrying it across the shoulders, with its strap right to left or left to right at a comfortable height, it has become a part of my personality.
In fact, carrying something in hand, be it a briefcase to office along with the lunch box (!), or only a medium sized bag-containing lunch in a stainless steel carrier and other contents, had been a way of life for me in my career. People known to me; picture me with something in the hand!
Long ago, at a Lions Club Meeting, when I was a member, and about to address other members on a topic, a senior most and respected member asked me - what do I carry in the shoulder bag?
Slowly and silently, to their chuckles, I emptied its contents:
In the front smallest of the pouches:
Three Ball pens- Blue, Black, and a Red one.
A pencil, Eraser, few rubber bands, Gem clips, a few pins pinned to a paper, a glue stick, my daily medicines, a palm-sized notebook, a calculator and my cell phone.
In the middle pouch:
My Spectacles, My Sunglasses, wallet containing money, debit/credit cards, my ID, A small towel, sometimes a pocket sized dictionary and a chequebook, bank passbook, and the house keys.
In the rear pouch:
A medium sized notebook, few A4 size papers, a carbon sheet, few empty envelopes, and a list containing important telephone numbers, and finally a stick-on 3M pad.
It looked I was carrying a mobile office stationary with me. In fact, these have become a necessity, and their usage could be handy anytime anywhere.
Of course, I change its contents whenever I fly.
My other family members found my carrying it useful, for they too gave some of their valuables to be kept in it, so that they could move around freely!
Yes, I was fastidious when trying to buy one. Just the right size, the right colour and number of pouches it should have. The zip and the material were always important.
Did I find the bag totally secured with some of its valuable contents, while carrying it?
Emphatically YES. I have been carrying it close to three decades, and nothing has been stolen. I always took precautions and was conscious of it on my body, and as I said, it is a part of my personality- a needy companion.

No comments:
Post a Comment