Monday, September 10, 2007

Turbulence

Monday, September 10th, 2007.

For most part of August month, my mind was swirling with endless thoughts ranging from domestic to state to nation to the world. The thoughts were often raging with anger to despair to disgust to disillusionment, yet they did not suck me in to a state of depression.

This state of mind would often strike individuals who have an organized mind and are a bit idealistic. I belong to this category. I do not regret a wee bit for having to go through this phase, for I know that I hold some values and principles that are dear to me, which are generally in agreement with the thinking of a civilized society.

As I open the print version of the daily newspaper, there are headlines in each page about conflicts. The media seem to hype the news that evoke anger, and disgust. They seem to transport the readers to an area where crime, violence take the center stage. The political news airing the views of politicians on issues governing the Indian nation, be it a nuclear deal with USA, and be it bomb explosions in Hyderabad, I get a feeling that every one of them is talking with half knowledge of the issues. For they say something only to be denied later, getting away with that irritating remark that they have been misquoted by the press!

I skip these topics, and keep the paper aside. But the disgusting thoughts remain, and I keep on questioning why these things are happening, the way they are happening.

My wife chips in with a remark why I should get irritated, as it is beyond me to set things right since neither I have the authority nor power to have a say. Mine is a voice in the wilderness! The more I get involved mentally the more I harm my own body. There is some truth in this.

The recourse is a reading of The Bhagavad Gita. This has the power to lift your thinking out of morass, gives a mind of serenity, and to view the issues with detachment.

But then one has to come back to reality, and have ones own views. I begin to wonder how in the world some countries believe in violence to achieve their ends. How followers believe the insane despot Bin Laden’s utterances asking the western world to convert to Islam. Even god would get bewildered! And certainly would repent why he created him?

What a period we peace loving citizens are passing through?

At least, I feel relieved when I am making these turbulent thoughts public.

No comments: