Tuesday, November 27, 2007

It is better to develop a well-rounded Personality.

These days I see lot of articles being written on ‘Personality Development’. The emphasis in those articles is on cultivating certain traits that are essential for success in one’s career life. But, then career life is only a part in one’s life. Many of those, who are successful in ‘Career life’, lack basic skills in handling many works in their social and domestic areas. They avoid doing them, often depending on others to get those works done. They end up spending more money. They are often labeled, by their family members, friends and relatives, as ‘Useless’.

I am referring to those mundane works of day to day necessities. Like buying vegetables and groceries; payment of bills; banking transactions, getting works done through government departments, and minor and major household repairs etc. They also ignore household chores, and avoid helping others either in the kitchen, or upkeep of their own house. To handle these works, an attitudinal approach is all that is required. But the present day youngsters dismiss these works as trivial, boring in nature, and go about with an air of arrogance, saying “there are better things to do”. I often come across educated people who do not know how to write an application to an official/institution, and what contents to be included in that. They have this strange thinking” What do I get doing these things”? They would rather prefer spending time watching TV, and do not feel embarrassed if these things are done by others, their parents, and sometimes by spouse. In other words, they are NOT self-reliant.

I feel sad and disappointed at their attitude. I frankly do not know whom to blame for this. All I can say with confidence and pride that I have never been like them. I further say that they are missing an opportunity to become a refined and a wholesome individual, who can be called - individuals for all seasons.

Let me, for a moment, call these works - odd jobs and even trivial. With a little bit of patience, and proper planning, they can be done with satisfaction. Doing these works help you get a “Real Picture of Life” and makes you learn how the administration functions, and how you can deftly handle these works. It helps you develop a positive frame of mind in all walks of life as you grow in age. One comes to know and understand “Human Psychology”, and through this you acquire - Simple Common Sense. You acquire many positive traits like - willingness to learn; adaptability; setting short-term targets, and paving the way for achieving long-term goals; communication skills; self-belief and confidence.

At my young age, my parents and my siblings often used me to do all these jobs. At times, I did rebel and refused, but more often I did oblige. I was to learn later that these works helped me face and handle many issues with ease, in all walks of my life so far. In the process I learnt that one needs to be inquisitive, adventurous in outlook and take the initiative to face and do any task.

“Jack of all Trades, but master of none”, that is what specialists would call you. It does not matter. They are trying to cover their weaknesses. The generalists and the specialists are as much necessary to the society as the right hand and the left hand to the human body.

I never felt ashamed doing all these works, and in fact took pride in doing them. I strongly feel that doing these physical activities keep your body in good condition, and do provide grace in your physical movements.

Developing a well-rounded Personality has become all the more necessary in the present day society, where many youngsters have become greedy, selfish, and sadistic. They neither seek advice, nor happy receiving advice from their parents and other elders. They claim to know everything, but end up projecting an image of a recluse, at home and at their work place. They neither inspire, nor get inspired. In a sense, they are morose, fretful, and unhappy in mind - always.

In the present global scenario, it is imperative for an individual to learn as many skills, academic and all round knowledge, to get along in life successfully with contentment. You have to be in the team, and be an important member at home, at work place and in the Society. The aim is to make others want you, feel your presence as a necessity in a team. For this, you should acquire and possess the required skills, keep improving them, and be different from the average person. There is always happiness in giving rather than taking.

To sum it up, “Be useful and helpful to others” that would be my simple advice.

No comments: