Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Global Surveys

I have been reading with great interest, the blogs written by many in the statesmanblogs, on many issues. I do say that they have enhanced my perception of issues of importance, and enriched my knowledge. Some of the comments to blogs have been on a personal level, which I genuinely felt ought to be avoided. This is for the simple reason that the writers have an absolute right to their views as they see and perceive to the best of their knowledge.

When I was in Austin during the first three months of this year, I watched many of the PBS programmes on TV, and came to know about the United States-based PEW Foundation. On my request they sent few brochures of their Organisation, through which I came to know the wonderful work they are doing.

Through their global surveys, they seek worldwide public opinion on many issues - political, social, and economic - and publish their findings. It’s a source of knowledge and awareness of issues.

I would strongly recommend many of my gentleman blog writers, friends and others to visit the website (http://pewglobal.org/) to enhance their thinking further.

Now, the survey findings reflect the opinions of global public as a group. Many of us, being individuals and not part of the survey, may differ with the findings. That is fine. But what matters is that they churn your thoughts further, and provide you a basis to form a better opinion and understanding of the subject and the particular issue.

THE HINDU, one of India’s national newspapers carried an article - “India in the world: how we see ourselves” written by Meera Nanda, in its edition dated December 11, 2007. The writer has summarized some findings of the Survey conducted by Pew Foundation for its 2007 Global Attitudes Survey. The writer has highlighted the Indian perception. I read the article with much interest.

Being an Indian, I sometimes find very difficult to assess a fellow Indian’s mind. This is because our actions do not always match our thinking. It could be true in my case too! But that is for others to judge! Many a time we contradict ourselves. This is no doubt unfortunate, but that is the way human nature sometimes is. It is certainly complex.

A parting word - Comment certainly, but do not hurt the feelings. One can be articulate, in speech and in writing. Yet, views can be communicated strongly.

There is a proverb in my native language - TELUGU. Translated, it says “A person, who gets along in life, without hurting himself, and without hurting others, is a wise and contended man.”

No comments: