It is more than a month since I posted a blog, which habit I indulged for close to two years now to keep myself partly busy in a sedate life pattern due to physical immobility. I now move in a wheel chair within my house. I was spending a great deal of time reading magazines, newspapers online; sending and receiving mails; and browsing the net. Yet, posting a blog does give me pleasure and satisfaction.
Other habits of mine are reading books; solving sudoku and crossword puzzles; reading magazines on travel, sports, and general. As no other person is involved in these activities, I derive greater pleasure since the feelings were equally shared by the author and me in silence. Currently I am reading a voluminous book on one of the Hindu epics. I am taken to a different world altogether, where god’s way of thinking dominates, and all his sermons engulf me with peace.
I feel the interchange of these habits, is similar to taking detours when we drive on a highway. Sometimes, we are directed to take the detour by the sign boards, indicating repairs on the highway, or we change our direction at the spur of the moment by our instincts when we feel like seeing nearby places of attraction.
In my case, may be it’s a coincidence that on many occasions, the detours occurred while driving, and every time it was adventurous, unforgettable, and pleasant. Last time, the detour occurred when we were returning from
Much can be learnt from these escapades, though it does interfere with our routine. It is worth while. We do not get to travel on long journeys quite often to take these detours. But sitting at home, frequent detours are possible. Thanks to the fickleness of the mind.
My mind takes me on such tours more often than not. In fact I allow it. I found this is one way of learning and exposing your mind to new ideas and rejuvenated thought process. The state of boredom is pushed aside. These periodical mental detours keep your mind fresh, make it vibrant, and keep it in balance. They are better antidotes than anti- depression tablets.
Very often I read articles on the problems faced by retired people about difficulty in spending their time. I hear many of them say “They have to do something”. My advice to them would be - Do those things which you could not do in your life so far. Take detours, you will come across interesting aspects of life, hitherto unexplored.
My advice to those in career life - Indulge in frequent physical detours to keep your mind well lubricated, well energized to get back on your career highway with your mind on full throttle. What sort of Detours? Visit new places; meet friends, relatives, and people from different walks of life. All of them have some better things to offer. The most powerful devils in your mind - EGO and GREED - slowly disappear. Just try.

No comments:
Post a Comment