Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Historic Triumph.

It is a thumping victory for Sen. Barack Obama and he is all set to be the next President of U.S.A. This brings to a close all those acrimonious debates, discussions and anxiety across the globe. But the GREAT EXPECTATIONS of the Americans would loom large before him and the Democratic Party which has a majority in the senate and the house as well. Henceforth every move of theirs would be under scanner, and all their promises need to be fulfilled. That would be not only challenging but would be daunting. Let the leadership be not complacent.

Obama’s speech was rhetoric, inspiring and full of hope. He reiterated that together with American people- We can bring about change.

As my readers and fellow bloggers know that I am an Indian, live in Hyderabad, and have NO say in American elections. But I have an enormous interest in American people and admire their spirit of WE CAN. I am an admirer of Barack Obama. His Audacity of Hope has become true.

Frankly speaking, I did not like the media addressing leaders by their ethnic background. It smacks of discrimination and highlights the differentiation, which is really not necessary in any public context. After all Obama or McCain or any other leader are Americans first. This is not confined to America alone, but in India too such things are highlighted too often and then debated on it. It is just hypocrisy.

I always likened TEXAS to Adventure because of the cowboys. But in this election it was far from that image I had. I am aware it is a stronghold of the GOP, but to think away from the mainstream is an indication of averse to CHANGE.

I am reminded of a joke told to me by a Bengali Friend. He spent greater part of his life outside his home state of West Bengal, and finally chose to settle in Hyderabad. It was unlike of many Bengalis who love Kolkata and West Bengal as they pride in their intellectual skills. When asked why he preferred to settle in Hyderabad, he said- In the beginning, West Bengal use to think first, and India later, and now India thinks first and West Bengal never.

Does this logic apply to TEXAS?

At the outset, this US Presidential Elections would be remembered for a long time, not only for its history, but for its long duration of acrimonious debates over issues that were drifting America towards whirlpool.

I am hopeful the new leadership would steer the American Dream ship away from it towards a smooth and a pleasant sail.

No comments: