For quite sometime, I have not written anything lengthy on paper. Though my handwriting is not as beautiful, as straight, and as legible as my father’s handwriting is, many of my relatives remarked that it is as good when compared. My habit of handwriting was mostly centered on writing letters to my father, siblings, nephews, relatives and friends, who were all good at correspondence and whose handwritings were legible and good as well. I really enjoyed then. I maintain copies of letters written by me in a personal correspondence file. With the death of my father, eight years ago, sadly this habit has been on the wane. I do exchange letters now and then with an Australian friend, whose handwriting continues to be beautiful at his present age of 78 years.!
Being a Cost Accountant by profession, preparation of forms and statements took precedence than lengthy reports writing in a manufacturing company where I worked. With Computers coming in, the writing habit has declined. On the office tables the monitors, keyboards and the mouse have replaced the pen, pencil and an eraser, which are rested in the trouser/shirt pockets! This more than often restricted the writing habit. The ball pen in preference to ink pen also distorted the handwriting to a certain extant.
Communication through e-mails, though instant and excellent has totally eliminated the pleasure of seeing a postman deliver a personal hand written letter. Alas, the pleasure derived in opening a letter on its receipt from one’s fiancĂ©, after anxiously waiting for it, is on the decline! May be you lose some, may be you gain some, when technology progresses.
Be all that as they may! I want to regain my writing habit. I felt nothing could be more helpful than writing lessons, often copying notes lesson by lesson, from”Grenville Kleiser’s New Correspondence Course in Practical English and Mental efficiency”. My father took this course during August 1939 and April 1940, and later he made us work on these lessons while we were in school in the 50’s. My father is no more, but the books are with me. They are elder to me, well preserved and priceless in content. Funk & Wagnalls Company then published them. They form part of my personal library.
Redoing these lessons, although better books and methods would have come in the market, I shall be remembering my father always, who has been, like all fathers, a great influence on me. This way I shall be obeying him once more and also improve my knowledge of English language further. I hasten to add that my vocabulary is not rich, neither I am greatly proficient in its usage nor in its power of expression, as some journalists possess them. The English language is not my native tongue, but acquired through medium of instructions followed in my education, like all fellow Indians. Nevertheless I am able to communicate with others in written and in colloquial form at ease.
I therefore began once again reading and writing these lessons in right earnestness at my present age of 61 years, which is no barrier for learning. Yes, I do not have to write exams on this score, and that makes me very happy.!!!
Any valuable suggestions?
NOTE: “ The delight of opening a new pursuit, or a new course of reading, imparts the vivacity and novelty of youth even to old age.” – Disraeli.
Sunday, July 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment