Wednesday, August 02, 2006

A little More about Handwriting.

Since writing the blog on this topic, I have been writing my lessons at least for an hour a day. Sometimes I missed for inexplicable reasons. Nevertheless I am regaining the smooth flow of my handwriting to my satisfaction.
An article that appeared in “The Hindu” yesterday (August 1st, 2006) strengthened my thinking. I am giving the link below to that article.

http://www.hindu.com/2006/08/01/stories/2006080102880900.htm

Being from the Accounting profession, I feel legible writing is a MUST. As accountants, we keep writing figures-1, 2,3..etc with many permutations and combinations using mathematical operations so often, it becomes imperative that the numbers are written clearly. More often than not, while adding figures in great numbers, many do not observe the simple rule of writing the financial figures segregating in units, tens, hundreds and so on, yielding a wrong total figure. With calculators in use, the art of manual totaling is sadly on the decline. Many a time, I have observed people across the counters in supermarkets struggling either to total or verify the total value of purchases made.

As parents, we should inculcate the habit of writing copybooks amongst children. At a later age, this habit contributes to clarity in thinking.

Just as a neatly dressed man or woman looks attractive, a good handwriting evokes good compliments; as to this day I cherish the remark of a Woman official, in Austin, TX who on seeing my filled up application form for a driving license, said “ You have a good handwriting Sir!” It pleased me.

These little things matter in life, and that is what life is all about.


No comments: