As I post this blog in this paper, I do wonder whether Austinites would be interested in this topic and would be of any use to them. I reasoned within myself that they would be, for the train journeys are all exciting and fascinating in any country.
I observed during my stay that the Inter city train travel in USA is not being undertaken with as much interest. There could be several reasons. May be it is not economical, may be the train scheduling is inconvenient, or it could be time-consuming. I did visit the Amtrak website, (www.amtrak.com) and its interesting to know its fares, schedules, routes etc. There is a train from Chicago to San Antonio via Austin. The journey time between Chicago and Austin is around 29 Hrs. (approx.), covering a distance of 1223 miles (1957 Kms) as per its Timetable.
In comparison, the train travel in India is very popular. Most of the cities are interconnected through extensive network, (www.indianrailways.gov.in/)and one comes across people belonging to different states as fellow passengers. By nature Indians are friendly, talkative, and it is pretty easy to get into conversations. One can get along speaking in English/Hindi/Or the state’s local language. You never feel lonely in Trains. You can also enjoy solitude. As a silent observer, one can indulge in the study of human behaviour. One can know plenty about India through train travel. Prestigious trains are fully air-conditioned, and the express trains are partially air-conditioned. The distance between New Delhi in North and Chennai in South is about 2200 Kms (1375 miles) and takes about 33 Hrs.
I love Train Travel. I traveled a great deal between cities in India, and each time was exciting. Taking an Auto-Rickshaw. (A three-wheeler) to and from the stations at the originating and at the destinations, engaging porters to carry heavy baggage to load and unload from your coaches, drinking cups of Tea/Coffee from the vendors, sometimes ordering snacks/ night meals, sometimes sharing it with fellow passengers, getting into discussions and arguments were all unforgettable. The intermediate stations en route have what you want- Bookstalls, Fruit Stalls, curio shops, food and tea vendors, cafeterias etc.
As these trains pass through fields, forests, tunnels, mountainous regions, through bridges over rivers and deep valleys, the beauty of nature unfolds. One can get lost in thoughts watching all these speeding by. I traveled alone; traveled with colleagues on official tours; traveled with friends, family, and relatives. The experience is Unmatched.
I fulfilled my desire of train travel in USA, as I went from NJ to New York and beyond.
It’s always thrilling to watch movies that show Trains and Train travel. Much can be said and written.

No comments:
Post a Comment