Thursday, August 20, 2009

It Happened To Me.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

It was way back during the summer of 1967 in New Delhi that an incident happened to me due to disobedience and impertinence on my part befitting my young age then to a saner advice of a cousin sister.

She advised me NOT to have a Hair-cut on a Friday. The consequences of not heeding to that simple advice, proved costly in terms of money and with it brickbats to an extant that to this day I do NOT go for a hair cut on Fridays.

On that fateful cloudy FRIDAY after noon, out of impulse I wanted to have a hair-cut at Plaza, a fashionable Hair-dressing Saloon in Connaught Place- An Expensive shopping promenade- about TEN miles away despite a saloon being there at a walking distance from my house, where I have the cut regularly. As my father was away on an official tour, the family car – Hindustan Landmaster- was at my disposal. The thrill of a long drive was tempting. I set out against advice and warning.

The onward drive was pleasant. The hair-cut in a comfortable ambience was smooth, the scalp massage and the shampooing put me into a slumberous mood for a while. The ever smiling, tall fair complexioned- a la Clark Gable- Barber combed my hair setting into a style akin to Junior Clark Gable, and finished the dressing sprinkling perfume all around. I tipped him well, beside the fare, and sauntered out refreshed. It was Dad’s money anyway!!!

With a cynical smile at the thought of cousin sister’s advice, I slid into the car like a lord comfortably positioning before the steering, ready for another majestic drive back to home. The engine started immediately, and I got into the evening traffic quickly. For a change I took a different route, a shorter one, for the return drive. After going about 2 miles, the engine rattled with the car losing speed and in few minutes it came to a halt right in the middle of the road disrupting traffic. I tried to restart, but the engine rattled more. I was sweating as I got down, and with the help of few pedestrians, pushed the car to the curb.

I opened the bonnet, but could not locate the fault as I was a dummy to car mechanism. After locking the car, as I walked half-a-mile to the nearest petrol bunk for a mechanic, it started to drizzle, and the downpour increased. Suddenly, the weather looked ominous. Seeing me in poor light, the mechanic accompanied me back to the car, and after a quick look, felt that there could be a crack in the Timing gear system, which would involve dismantling the engine, that would take few days and the repairs could get expensive!!. He suggested we tow the car to the petrol bunk first, and we did.

I became speechless not knowing what to do. I did not have much money with me then. Understanding my plight, the mechanic did not insist for his fee.

Regaining my composure, I rang up the owner of known motor workshop, who advised me to leave the car at the bunk overnight, and he would have it towed to his workshop the next day morning. By coincidence, the gas station owner is known to him, and assured me the car would be safe.

I returned home pretty late by bus, totally exhausted. I was aware of the reception I would get. Though relieved of the anxiety on seeing me, and on being told of the events, I received brickbats from family members which shook me. I dare not look at them in their eyes, and much less at my cousin sister. I had a sleepless night.

Next day, I caught the first bus in the early hours to get to the Petrol station, and was happy to see the car safe and secured.

Well, it cost a fortune for my father to get the car repaired. I was admonished mildly for my rash behaviour. It left an indelible mark in my mind. It was an unforgettable lesson.

However, there was a positive side to it. I learnt the car mechanism as I observed all the repairs that were done, which process stood with me in good stead in my later years with my father’s car and my car as well in knowing Car Maintenance.

Despite scientific thinking, and others laughing at our superstitious beliefs, we all do possess these beliefs following some incident or other in our lives OR simply following elders’ advice.

Tailpiece: Though following STRICTLY the habit of NOT having a hair-cut on FRIDAYS, I went a step ahead in restricting my hair-cuts, by having my head tonsured once in four months beginning from this year. This suits my disability too. Oh! Yes! Tonsures? NOT on FRIDAY’S.

1 comment:

Sridhar said...

I am not that stickler but I donot allow my children to have hair cut on Tuesdays ( Shop is closed) Fridays ( As per tradition) and Saturdays( It is said that children with fathers alive should not have haircut on Saturdays Can you find reason) So left with Mondays, Wednesdays thrusdays and sundays. If any one happen to be Amavasya no hair cut. So mostly Sundays. Send children to hair cut on Sundays. so they will be away for 3 to 4 hours waiting for their turn in a crowded shop. you can rest with out much noise.

But tell me you insist on boys having bath after hair cut. but allow girls to sit for marraige, Pujas etc after their visit to lady barbar. Discrimination ???!!!

sridhar